Become a Listener
Foster a welcoming space at Underhill House, create an invitational environment and an opportunity for another person to be heard, and when requested, provide prayer for anyone who enters Underhill House. Becoming a listener is an opportunity to increase your listening skills and prayer life.
A Listener is NOT a therapist or spiritual director. The role of the Listener is to simply listen, reflect appropriately, and when asked, to pray.
Duties, Expectations, & Requirements
- Welcome people when they enter Underhill House
- Be available if people desire to have someone listen to their stories
- Pray for those who enter the space
- When requested, pray with people
- Be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Complete a training session (a part of this training will be discerning with the group if this volunteer opportunity is a good fit for you and for Underhill House)
- Have an opportunity to meet as a group as needed
- Commit to being a Listener for a minimum of 3 hours per month (current hours are on Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.)
- Take Safeguarding God’s People (free training offered by Diocese of Olympia) within six months of start date or provide proof of equivalent training
Listeners should have an alignment with the Underhill House mission and values, belief in prayer, a desire to grow in listening and prayer life, and a general desire for openness and change when hearing stories, especially when related to different beliefs and faiths. One of the greatest gifts we can offer another human is to truly listen to them, with no agenda of our own. Here is an opportunity to offer this gift. If you desire to sit and be present with people and meet our qualifications, please fill out our Listener application.
Please send your application using the form below or print a copy of the application and mail to:
Post Office Box 243
Mercer Island, WA 98040
You will need to provide two references. One of these references must be able to speak to your spiritual journey.
If you are unable to submit your application, you might be missing a required field. Please scroll up and check for boxes highlighted in red.